Friday, November 25, 2011

The blogger and the aircraft carrier

A few days ago, I was checking out Twitter and it seemed to be buzzing with tweets related to the two papers breaking the story about the locked heads on the USS George HW Bush and some linked directly to this site.

I found some jokes, some support and some insults and then I found @guybirenbaum's post. He and I started a short conversation through Twitter and he asked if I had seen the video. I had not.

It's in French. Guy assured me it was simply my blog, "in French." Several of my friends who speak some French assured me that it is indeed, my blog, in French.

Thanks Guy!

I've been hearing rumors about the United States redirecting ships to Syria's shore and it's for just this reason that I started my blog.

The world's political climate is mercurial at best. A ship such as the USS George HW Bush is able to remain at sea for decades without refueling - only needing supplies airlifted in from time to time. Our sailors could be away from home for a very long time - without working heads. As a taxpayer, I cannot fathom allowing this to happen to the men and women who are risking their lives and comforts for my freedoms. If the unthinkable should happen and the USS George HW Bush must remain abroad for an even longer time, I do hope the next airlift includes potty chairs, camping toilets, port-o-lets or wagbags.

It's time to show our Navy personnel that we at home are supportive and we do care. As long as the heads work and remain unlocked, it's cool. On a six-month cruise, how many hours have they not worked? How long before they break again? How do you convince adults to take care of their own spaces? How much potty training do some people need after the age of 2?