Sunday, November 20, 2011

And the winner is...

Believe it or not, I do have a life away from my computer. Contrary to some opinions, my son is not a mama's boy and we both knew the consequences of going public with the story about the VCHT system on board his ship - all of the consequences. The name calling, finger pointing and blaming won't fix the problem, but drawing attention to the fact that there is a problem might.

As tempting as it is to say, "I'm done. The ciphers have been changed and most of the heads are working," I dare not. This story isn't over. Until I know the repairs have been made and future deployments will provide basic necessities or some sort of plan for when the heads aren't available, I will maintain my diligence.

I am as appalled as anyone that military professionals - adults who have completed at least basic training and one A-school - would deliberately, for whatever reason, flush or stuff non-biodegradable items down the only heads they will access for half a year. If I hadn't read comments on other blogs and newsfeeds from retired sailors, I would not have believed this was an apparently ongoing situation on ships at sea. Do sailors lose IQ on the ocean?

If anyone had asked me in 2006, "Where do you see yourself in 5 years," not even with my ample imagination, would I have responded, "blogging about toilets." Yet, here I am. I check to see what other organizations and individuals have picked up the story. One such search led me to a twitter post, then another and another and another.

Most were retweets and most were amusing. People can't help making jokes about body functions, especially at the expense of others. There are some things that simply beg people to make fun of them. The best by far wasn't even a joke.

@jptstewart tweeted about #need2go:
Battle of the Bush: Lex Luther vs. Navy Mom.